Catalyst Balkans is a regional nonprofit dedicated to building a sustainable philanthropic ecosystem in the countries of the Western Balkans.
We believe that the best change is one that comes from within — that society and community can be transformed and developed with sustainable and long-term results only by the people who live and work there. This is why advancing local philanthropy is the key. Our work focuses on 2 strategic directions: knowledge sharing and tool development. Since 2013, our team has been researching, analyzing and advising philanthropic communities in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia, Serbia and Croatia, building along the way an extensive knowledge base on the culture of giving in the Western Balkans.
We are now developing tools that will help nonprofits to engage with their communities easily, fundraise efficiently and make better decisions and plans.
Those tools include:
- GivingBalkans.org - a unique database with visualized reports on giving in the Western Balkans.
- CiviCatalyst.org - a CRM platform for nonprofits that makes contact management, event organization and newsletters easier.
- Donacije.rs - a donation platform for online and text message crowdfunding in Serbia.
We are now looking to employ a Data Science Assistant with little or no professional experience, but with both skills and passion to join our growing 21-member strong team.
What We Offer?
You will get the opportunity to work on meaningful projects aimed towards helping non-profits and growing local philanthropy. You will have the opportunity to work with many different technologies and gain valuable marketable experience.
- Immediate full-time employment with unlimited contract
- Training, mentoring, and constant self-development
- Flexible working hours
- Everyday work that makes an impact on others
- Supportive, open and relaxed working environment
- Downtown office near the Botanical Garden
What Are We Looking For?
Our ideal candidate has a university degree, preferably Master level in any area. However, as long as you match the necessary criteria below you will be considered, no matter the formal education. Final year students are encouraged to apply.
Self-taught candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Either R or Python – the candidate needs to be comfortable with either of these two languages.
- Basics of SQL
- Statistics, data analysis and visualization skills
- Excellent knowledge of both English and Serbian
Inquisitive mind Bonus Skills:
- Any form of activism and knowledge of civil society landscape in Serbia
- Web Scraping
- Natural Language Processing
- Social Network Analysis
- Database design and administration
- REST APIs
What Will You Be Doing?
The Data Science Assistant will be supporting their senior colleagues in the effort to design and implement at least two novel systems centered around: mining social media, natural language processing, data analysis and artificial intelligence. Furthermore, they will utilize their skills to improve our current products, and help data bring value to the civil society sector in Serbia.
Think You Are Right for This Job?
Send your CV and cover letter in English. Your cover letter must explain why you are interested in working with Catalyst Balkans and what you believe you would bring to the team.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, July 22, 2020.
Send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Data Science Assistant”. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview. Selected candidates are expected to be available for online interviews on July 24 or 27. Desired start date is August 3 or 10.